Fabric Welding Machines for Plastic Welding
For over 45 years, Miller Weldmaster has led the way in thermoplastic and polypropylene welding and bonding. The combination of our many years of experience and our knowledgeable technical experts, create plastic welding machines designed to meet your specific needs. Welding plastic lets you use thermoplastic rubber fabrics, which are popular materials because they are lightweight, strong and stable.
What Are Thermoplastics?
Thermoplastics are plastic materials that become pliable or moldable when heated above a specific temperature and harden upon cooling.
What is Thermoplastic Welding?
Thermoplastic welding is a process used for joining pieces of thermoplastic material using heating, pressure and cooling. To begin the weld, the surface of the thermoplastic material is heated to its melting point, or thermoplastic state. Each material has its own thermoplastic state, which usually ranges between 250°C (480°F) and 500°C (1022°F).
The material is then pressed together until it cools. The pressure applied allows molecules in the material to newly position themselves, or to bond with molecules of another part.
Why do manufacturers choose thermoplastic for welding?
Thermoplastic welding has several benefits for manufacturing industries:
- High strength plastic welding
- Design flexibility
- Low processing costs
- Better fatigue properties than metals
The most commonly welded thermoplastic materials are:
- Polypropylene (PP) -Industries such as ducting and packaging use polypropylene coated fabrics for a variety of applications.
- Polyethylene (PE) -Agriculture and geomembrane industries have been welding polyethylene for years, but the sign industry has started to adopt this type of welding as well.
- Polyvinylchloride (PVC) -The awning, sign, banner, tent and ducting industries commonly use PVC laminated fabric.
Other thermoplastic materials and applications include:
- Weldable Webbing
- Plastic Welding
- Bonding Tapes
- Non-Woven Materials
Thermoplastic Welding Machines
Contact us with any questions you may have about how to weld thermoplastic fabrics or about our thermoplastic welding machine options.
With multiple technologies available, Miller Weldmaster will help you select the best technology for your application.
If you do not see your fabric listed to the left, please contact us and tell us about your fabric welding needs.